Friday, October 2, 2009

Putting the Steel in Magnolias

I have had the immensely great fortune to reunite this past year with several of my very best friends from high school. We were the girls of the early 80s - defined by our big hair, heavy black eyeliner and penchant for clothing adorned with bows, alligators and polo riders. The geography of our existence was contained within a man-made beach to our south, the Shy Anne social club to our east, Saint Stanislaus Boys school to our west and some pretty scary rednecks to our north. Compared to the world today our world was very small and simple. As idyllic as our small town life would seem to be we were all itchin' to keep cruising past the Jeff Davis strip and on into the big sophisticated world we were certain lay beyond our little high school boundaries.

Listening to my girlfriends talk about themselves in High School makes me wonder if my perception of those days was clouded by a sticky web of Aquanet and waterproof Maybelline eyeliner. One of my favorite bloggers is one of these friends and in many of her posts she writes about how she was unpopular in high school. Funny, how I remember her as being very well-liked, pretty, funny, talented, and quite frankly she hung out with me so she must have been popular. (at least she was popular with me) Another friend tells her teenage daughters how unattractive and nerdy she was in high school while what I remember is a tall beautiful girl with a perfect smile, amazing alto voice and wicked sense of humor. The homecoming queen was also in our high school girlfriend club, she was considered the most popular and beautiful girl in town. Just a few weeks ago I found myself telling her that I wished she was more self confident.

I am not even sure what defined popular in 1983 all I know is that my best friends were the girls who turned heads from the petite little mormon spitfire to the tall cool drink of smokey sound. I was always the comic relief for these beautiful flowers. The loud chunky thighed girl who brought some earthiness to the beauty surrounding me. I am not bitter about being the dirt, because thanks to them I was able to meet some cute band guys and get a lot of free drinks.

My beautiful friends have grown into beautiful women that I admire greatly for the lives they lead. The road has held some giant switchbacks and steep drops for each of them since we toasted our last bottle of pink champale in the Piggly Wiggly parking lot. Each one has faced her share of heartache and disappointment with a survivor's mentality. Where are the girls of 83 nearly 30 years later. The tall cool drink is one of the most fantastic mothers I have ever met, she has organized countless school and community fundraisers. She was recognized by her home state as volunteer of the year and walked step for step with her critically ill son until he regained his health. The tiny spitfire walked through fire to get her degree and has a beautiful talent with the written word and is a bastion of fashion. The homecoming queen has single handedly raised two amazing daughters and gutted homes for Katrina victims all while keeping the twinkle shining in her beautiful blue eyes. The pretty little beach sprite left the country and now fills the world with beautiful ukulele music and wonderful designs. The footprints left by each of these women reflect hope, love, friendship and has made my world and I believe the world in general a better and more beautiful place to live.

In general I don't write when I am sporting my rose colored glasses, I prefer the hard light from my cheaters but I watched Steel Magnolias and realized those fictional movie characters had nothin' on the real magnolias that I have the honor of calling friends. Our geographical boundaries have grown and our hair has lost alot of volume but our journeys have brought all of our lives together again and I rejoice. My pink champale is chilled - here's to you magnolias of mississippi may your steel petals continue to shine.

11 comments:

  1. How awesome that you were able to reunite and that you've all accomplished so much to be proud of!

    Where did you grow up, if you don't mind my asking? I wondered, because I am from Mississippi as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an amazing post. I'm speechless. I want to find a way to preserve these words forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie girl, to you, i plug in my hot curlers.

    & I think we are all amazing chicks. I was inspired by all of you then and continue to be today.

    Very, very nicely put babe. Brought me right back home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb,
    You brought a tear to my eye. Your descriptions of the girls is on point! Although you have always had a great wit, I remember you as being one of the beauties too!What an awesome blog! I feel blessed to have all of you as friends!
    Love u, Jerry N.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How blessed you all are to have such memories of your friendships. Deb, your writings amaze me. Shame on me for not becoming friends with alot more people. People whom I was too shy to get to know better then would surely be some great runnin' buddies today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully written Deb - I can see everyone you are writing about. It was great touching base with you in August - I enjoyed our conversation. I do miss Jeff Davis and all the fun we had "cruisin". Keep blogging, I am excited to see the next one.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks ya'll

    Devilish Belle - we grew up on the Mississippi Gulf Coast in a small bedroom community called Long Beach. It was decimated by Katrina and cut a chunk out of my fragile heart. There will be more posts on Long Beach in the future.

    Jerry - me and my chunky thighs love you dearly

    Shelley - I have the Aquanet Extra Firm Hold ready for your visit home

    Lisa - me too my friend, met too on all you wrote

    tlc067 - I am blessed with patient friends

    and
    K - no Aquanet did not cloud my memory of you

    ReplyDelete
  8. This brings a smile to my face. Though I didn't actually graduate with that class, I have always felt akin to them so much more than my actual graduating class. LB is as much a part of me as my own skin is. I'm not sure exactly which "Debbie" you are, but I was one of K's good friends, and will always be.
    Daisey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here from K's place.

    This is lovely, and strong, and beautifully written. I'm also from a small community and can relate. Thank you for a walk down memory lane this morning, even if it wasn't my own street!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here from Headless Mom's Place - :)

    I can't tell you how sweet that post was. I had a few friends, all very simillar...I miss them dearly. I do however still have my high school BFF here in town with me (at least for a little while longer) and I couldn't be more blessed to still have her. I will be back. I too enjoyed my trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Revisiting after I walked in on you reading this to the Sisterhood this weekend. Now my feelings are hurt that you read it while I was on my coffee run. I wanted to cry, too!!! x

    ReplyDelete